Thursday, February 14, 2013

Is your mouth your Achilles' Heel?

From June 30, 2011 Notes:

"For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise."
- Hebrews 10:36

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with:
Compassion
Kindness
Humility
Gentleness and
Patience."
- Colossians 3:12

"Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble."
- Proverbs 21:23

"Iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."
- Proverbs 27:17

Assertiveness and the Christian:
          "Be neither a doormat or a bulldozer."

Today's Thoughts:

I remember when I was reading through Proverbs.  I would find verses that would just make me laugh.  The idea of God saying, "Keep your mouth shut!"  Doesn't that sound parental?  I've never been one to holler at my kids to shut up.  Even the idea of it rubs me the wrong way.  But I have said, "Not another word!"  Or, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."  And yes, on occasion, "Look out your window [in the car] and keep your mouth shut!"

The more time I spend in prayer and devotions the more able I am to hear those God whispers reminding me, in times of trouble, to, "keep my mouth shut!"  I have been known to argue.  Arguing with little voices in your head can't be a good sign of anything.  Right?

And I am witty.  I am quick and pretty sharp, so words form rather quickly, and my mouth moves faster than the speed of light.  So my poor brain is like, "Wait.  What just happened?" while my mouth is at least 50 paces ahead.  And the damage?  When my brain catches up to my mouth, the damage is in my heart.  

I am thankful that as we age most of us get wiser.  This is not a transgression I struggle with near as much as I did in my twenties.  (You know, back when I knew everything.)  And I would rather cut off an arm than hurt someone with my words.  Physical wounds heal but emotional ones leave scars unseen and take a lot longer to leave behind.

So as you go through your day, use your words (I say that to my kids a lot) to lift others up and encourage them.  It will end up strengthening them and healing your own heart instead of damaging it.

Blessings y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment