Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Cup Overflows

From a bookmark I made and am using now:

My Cup Runneth Over - Psalm 23:5

"Dear Lord,
Help me to have a servant's heart; to be a woman who pours a drink more refreshing that coffee or tea. May the cup I offer to the women you have placed in my life always overflow with your love and acceptance."
by Karla Dornacker

** I love the wording, "my cup runneth over". I've been involved with a retreat with that title. I love the usage of the phrase in the movie, "Hope Floats". I say it to my children when my heart feels like it could burst from love and pride in them.

It is strange that I never equate the verse listed here with Psalm 23. Whenever Psalm 23 is mentioned I immediately go to, "The Lord is my shepherd ... I shall not want". The old, familiar tune of the hymn inspired by this Scripture begins playing in my head. When I began writing this entry, I pulled out my hymnal and saw this edition has 5 verses for this hymn, including one that uses verse 5 of the Psalm.

The Lord's My Shepherd by Scottish Psalter

The Lord's my Shepherd; I'll not want:
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green, He leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again.
And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness
E'en for for His own name's sake.

Yea, tho I walk in death's dark vale,
Yet will I fear none ill;
For Thou art with me, and Thy rod
And staff me comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnished
In presence of my foes;
My head Thou dost with oil anoint,
And my cup over flows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
Shall surely follow me;
And in God's house for ever-more,
My dwelling place shall be.

Father, Shepherd me. Remind me to let You lead and protect. It isn't all on me. It's all You.

Blessings Y'all!





No comments:

Post a Comment